Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Since Elementary School..."

I just got off the phone with my best friend since elementary school Stephen H. He has many years of sobriety and can rattle off 12 step dogma faster than the pope can ex-communicate a lesbian nun. He knew that I have been "out" since Holloween. He asked me how I was and I said "fine." Without hesitation he asked: "what's that acronym?" I assumed he meant Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic and (I forget what the E stands for) but you get my point. Jokingly, but lovingly he wanted to point out where I should be by now, and if not for this blog and contact with others in my situation he would be absolutely right. I was irritated but decided to keep my cool. Afterall he was coming from what I believe was a place of love and concern. He offered me the only medicine that he had at his disposal: passages from the "Big Book", the "12 and 12", "As Bill Sees it", "Daily Reflections" and I think he even through a little "Grapevine" in there for good measure. Certainly I was dealing with a pro. If A.A. gave out Ph.D's he'd be a Nobel-lauriet. To his credit though, he finally listened and found the good in what I was trying to do. That is why we have been friends for so many years. He ALWAYS looks for the good. Hopefully, if you find yourself in my situation; questioning and searching, you will have a friend like him: unconditional, if not irritating.

No comments: