Saturday, November 25, 2006

Diary of an A.A. Dropout 4




I just got off of the phone with my best friend Steven H. The conversation got a little heated as we discussed a mutual friend in the program who will no longer speak to me because I am no longer a member of A.A. This was extremely hurtful because I care deeply about this mutual friend. (I'll call him Pocahontas, since everyone thinks he's an Indian) and I got very pissed off when Steven seemed, In my mind to justify Pocahontas' behavior. He specifically said "well if I were in doubt I would err on the side of my sobriety.....he is just protecting his sobriety." Well needless to say, that put me over the edge. "Since when is Alcoholism contagious?" I asked. "Well, he's just being selfish..." Steven replied. As if that's a good thing. I know that there is the school of thought within Program that says "this is a selfish program." This is totally contrary to what my former sponsor taught us and also pointed out that the Big Book specifically says "...we believe that selfishness is the root of our problems..." to be continued.

No comments: